Originally established thirty five years ago in Empangeni, Oilco then expanded to Nelspruit, Vryheid and Durban. The head office was relocated to 50 Electron Road, Springfield Park, Durban, in 2008. The South African petroleum industry is fast changing and the major oil companies are seeking to reduce operational risks and focus on their core businesses.
The Group Fuel operations are conducted by two trading companies, namely Oilco Retail and Oilco Wholesale, with all logistics by Bluebird Logistics (Pty) Ltd. All the lubricants are traded through Lubeco.
The Retail Company operates from sites in Nelspruit, Pongola, Vryheid, Empangeni and Durban with its client base comprising mainly customers in the transport industry.
Oilco delivers its mission by:
- Ensuring that quality products are available to consumers at all times, focusing on reliability and service excellence.
- Advising consumers on appropriate types of fuels for their needs.
- Penetrating and securing markets originally inaccessible, because of geographical and/or competitor positioning.
- Ensuring that technical and managerial skills are abreast with technology developments and international best practices through continuous training
- Strictly monitoring and maintaining delivery systems and processes.
- Erecting, managing, and maintaining a distribution infrastructure, to internationally acceptable standards.
- Complying with environmental and regulatory requirements.
- High Level of HSSE compliance in line with Shell’s guidelines
The major oil companies also address this risk compliance with Oilco on a monthly basis, by doing inspections and audits of its sites. In the event Oilco fails any of these inspections, the oil companies have the right to cancel their supply agreements.
Legislation and regulations which Oilco requires to comply with include:
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Dangerous Goods Transportation Act
- Department of Minerals & Energy Affairs licensing Requirements